Bus Driver Hiring Process
The road to our Bus Driver Trainee class has a few steps along the way. The average time from application to classroom is 30 to 60 days. You can help keep the process rolling smoothly by watching your email for updates and completing next steps quickly. We can't wait to welcome you aboard!
- Watch your e-mail for a form to add your last 5 years of job history.
- Explain any gaps in employment (school, unemployed, etc).
- You will hear from us within 2 days about whether or not we are moving forward.
- The test takes about 30 minutes.
- Take the test as soon as you are invited. You'll have 2 days to take it.
- Take the test in a location with as little interruptions as possible.
- You will hear from us within 2 days about the results of your assessment.
- If you do not pass the assessment we encourage you to reapply in three months.
- Interviews are scheduled 1-2 weeks out.
- Plan on being at the interview event for 4 hours because it will include some testing, receiving a lot more information about the job, and the interview.
- For helpful tips on preparing for the interview, visit:
- We take approximately one week to check references after a successful interview.
- You'll need at least 3 references from current or former supervisors within the last 5 years.
- Let them know in advance we'll be contacting them.
- Start studying for your CDL permits https://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/cdlwritten.html
- We'll call you to walk you through the next steps and decide together on a start date.
- You'll need to pass a physical, a drug test, and a background check.
- Complete those within 2 weeks so we can make you a final offer.
- The sooner you pass, the sooner you begin class, so schedule your test right away.
- There will be a knowledge test, a passenger skill test and an air break skill test. There's a $35 sitting fee and a $40 permit fee. We will reimburse you this $75.
- Sometimes it may take a few tries to pass all three tests. The $35 sitting fee is charged each time you need to take the test again.
- Check with your local Department of Licensing for permit testing days and times.
- For more info visit: https://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/cdlcdip.html
- Congratulations! You're almost there!
- Your final offer will include instructions for your first day.
- Review your offer letter on what to bring to class.
- Be on time and prepared to join a GREAT team.