What is Travel Training?
Our Travel Training program is designed to teach the basic skills necessary to ride Community Transit’s bus service. Travel Trainers ride with you during training — guiding you through the transit experience all the way to your destination.
Travel Training is geared to anyone who needs a little extra help navigating the transit system:
- Senior citizens
- People with disabilities
- Non-English speakers
- New residents
- New riders
The program is customized to meet your individual needs and can last from one hour to several sessions — as long as
you need to feel safe and confident. Signing up is easy and there is no cost to you.
Topics covered in Travel Training
You will learn:
- How to plan a trip including what bus to take
- Where bus stops are located and the best way to get to and from the bus stop
- How to pay your fare, obtain bus passes, and transfer between buses
- Boarding tips, including how to signal for a stop and how to use the wheelchair ramp or lift
- What to do if you miss the bus or have a change of plans
Gain independence and flexibility
- Bus service lets you travel on your schedule.
- You have the independence and flexibility to travel whenever and wherever you want.
- Buses operate on convenient and reliable schedules to major destinations. In many areas buses run every 15 minutes.
Community Transit buses are easy to access
- All buses are wheelchair accessible.
- Most buses have a “low floor” so it takes only one step up to enter
- Many bus stops have benches and shelters.
Did you know?
- Over 20% of our bus trips are taken by seniors, people with disabilities, and non-English speaking customers
- Our drivers receive training to assist the special needs of our senior and disabled customers
- Any person who has a disability or is 65 years or older may get a Regional Reduced Fare Permit ORCA card. Whether or not you use this card to pay your fare, having it allows you to ride public transit buses and the Washington State Ferries throughout
the Puget Sound Region at a discounted fare.
- We can provide group presentations to senior centers and residential facilities, adult family homes, schools, community groups, and other organizations
How to schedule
To schedule Travel Training, or for more information, please contact (425) 348-2379.